The race is on to build a sustainable global economy and competition among companies to thrive in this new business paradigm is fierce. As a nonprofit organization with more than 25 years of experience, Ceres has credibility and expertise in driving sustainability leadership into the economy, by mobilizing business and investor leadership on climate change and other global sustainability challenges.
Sitting at the intersection of investors, business, and NGO advocates, Ceres brings these
critical perspectives together in constructive stakeholder dialogues to identify smart business solutions to today’s greatest economic challenges. Ceres’ Corporate Program engages with 60+ member companies to make sustainability a core part of business decision-making for the short and long-term. Ceres also directs the Investor Network on Climate Risk (INCR), a network of over 130 institutional investors with collective assets totaling more than $15 trillion. And Ceres-led Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy (BICEP) is an advocacy coalition of more than 30 businesses committed to working with policy makers to pass meaningful energy and climate legislation.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Operations Assistant will serve as the receptionist and play a key role in managing the Ceres office, including maintenance of common areas, and monitoring and tracking all office equipment and electronics. This role provides logistics support for any Operations activity and the annual Ceres Conference. Lastly, the role supports the production of the Ceres’ Sustainability Report by tracking and organizing data for the report. The position is located in our Boston office and will work with and report to the Senior Department Director of Human Resources and Operations. This job offers an opportunity for an energetic, friendly, and highly organized individual, early in their professional career, to join a growing organization and engage in a variety of activities. Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
• Serve as reception for Ceres providing phone coverage, greeting visitors to the office and accepting and signing for packages
• Sort and distribute mail, assist staff with shipping packages, coordinate deliveries with staff, and determining appropriate places to receive and store Ceres materials.
• Serve as liaison with office equipment and supplies vendors
• Coordinate with CA Team staff on office equipment and supplies purchases
• Provide support to CA Team staff on office operations and tech needs
• Organize and keep tidy office supply closet and oversee ordering of new materials as necessary
• As director, purchase office furniture and technology.
• Track inventory of Ceres paraphernalia such as letterhead, envelopes, and folders and re-order when necessary.
• Oversee kitchen purchases of healthy office food and kitchen supplies that are environmentally-conscious while being affordable
• Ensure common area maintenance by keeping meetings rooms, open office space and the cafe tidy. Coordinate with the building’s cleaning service on specific needs such as bathroom areas and manage relationship with composting service.
• Serve as liaison with building maintenance and security staff, keeping Ceres staff informed of building activities and policies.
• Organize and manage the distribution of wi-fi travel devices
• Coordinate routine repair and maintenance issues for office and serve as liaison with building management
• Partner with the Senior Department Director with organizing and moving staff when building alarms are sounded
• Trouble shoot office equipment problems (such as copiers, phones & postage machines) and coordinate with external vendors for repair support
• Manage the office security card system, including issuing new cards, canceling lost cards, and limiting security access when appropriate.
• Organize annual cleaning of office space when staff are attending the Ceres Conference
• Partner with Senior Department Director in managing IT support provider, including scheduling times for service, paying invoices, and trouble shooting tech issues.
• Track and maintain inventory of office equipment including electronics (laptops and phones)
• Review invoices and prepare payments for office-wide services such as phone, copier, mail service, electricity and office lease
• Review invoices and prepare payments for office equipment purchases and repairs
• In partnership with the Senior Associate, Human Resources, support the arrival of new staff members by coordinating computer, phone business cards, and work space set-up, including setting up e-mail, calendar, conference call and server accounts
• Maintain staff lists and seating charts and distribute to staff when changes occur
• Provide administrative support to the production of the Ceres’ Sustainability Report, such as collecting data about staff travel, paper use in the office, or office composting activity.
• Provide administrative and logistical support as requested for the annual Ceres Conference
• Provide limited administrative support to the Senior Department Director
• As directed by Senior Department Director, provide limited administrative support to program teams.
• 1-2 years of work experience, in an office setting, preferred.
• Associate degree required or Bachelor degree, preferred.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, required.
• Familiarity with a database system, preferred.
• Well-developed organizational and problem solving skills necessary.
• Ability to look at problems as opportunities.
• Strong attention to detail and good follow-through on projects.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
• Strong people skills with the ability to work with a wide range
• Familiarity with Apple products, a plus.
• Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Understand how to manage staff expectations and provide helpful communication.
• Remain calm and thoughtful in times of crisis.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please use the words “Operations Assistant” in the subject line of your e-mail message.
Ceres is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.